Endorse Petition for a Stronger Rural America
Strengthening Rural America, Strengthens all of America
America is strongest when all of its communities are strong and all of its people have access to genuine opportunity. Rural America is a valuable part of America. But today it’s not sharing in the nation’s prosperity. It’s hurting all of America.
When rural young people are denied opportunity to build businesses, lives and careers, rural America contributes fewer taxes fewer jobs and less productivity to America.
To contribute to the nation’s prosperity, Rural America must share in it.
TAKE ACTION TODAY!
Endorse the Strengthen Rural America Petition - www.cfra.org/nran_endorse.htm
When community is weakened, the bonds that make us strong are weakened. In strong communities we’re more likely to help each other and less likely to focus on ourselves. To
uplift rural values, we must up lift rural communities.
The WalMarting of the American economy – the destruction of family farms and small business – is shrinking the rural middle class. People denied a stake in the American dream, are less likely to take responsibility for sustaining it. Strengthening the rural America strengthens all of America.
TAKE ACTION - TAKE ANOTHER STEP - TELL YOUR FRIENDS - forward this online petition to your friends, family... your e-mail contacts, your e-mails lists...anyone you can think of that cares about the future of rural America - http://www.cfra.org/nran_endorse.htm
Our goal is to gather 10,000 signatures on the Strenthen Rural America Petition and present the signatures to members of Congress in August 2006. And we need you help to make it happen!
Congress Must Act Now for Rural America!
There are practical strategies that work, strategies to revitalize 21st century rural communities. But local initiatives must be matched by federal policies that support rural revitalization, rather than hinder it. The 2007 farm bill provides one vehicle to chart a new course.
The farm program should cap farm program payments to mega farms and invest the savings in initiatives that create a future for Rural America, including:
- Provide loans, technical assistance, and business training to help rural business thrive and enable rural people to start new businesses.
- Provide incentives to sell land to beginning farmers and support initiatives to link beginners with retiring farmers and provide training on accessing alternative markets.
- Provides grants to communities to nurture small business, develop new leaders, and engage youth and foster local philanthropy to support community development.
- Beef up the Value Added Producers Grants program to help farmers tap higher value markets and add value to their products, while prioritizing family size farms.
- Invest in conservation of land and water and reward farmers and ranchers for good stewardship.
We do not have to choose between family farms and rural development. The single most effective thing the farm bill could do to strengthen family farms is to stop subsidizing mega farms to drive smaller operations out of business by capping payments. And it saves money to invest in our future.
post a question or comment here or contact John Crabtree, email@example.com
Center for Rural Affairs
Values. Worth. Action.